Tanzania Education Authority
The Tanzania Education Authority (TEA) is a corporate body established under section 5(1) of the Education Fund Act No. 8 of 2001 to manage the Education Fund. In carrying out its statutory functions, TEA is regulated by law, and is committed to ensure quality, equity and access to education.
Tanzania is still challenged with the role of providing equitable quality education to all. The major challenge is to explore sufficient resources for improvement of quality, equity and access to Education.
Among the many programmes and strategies used to cab the situation, the government established the Education Fund in 2001. Respectively, the Tanzania Education Authority (TEA) was given a mandate to manage the Education Fund.
The Education Fund
Since its establishment in 2001, the Fund has been acting as a pool into which resources collected from Government allocations, voluntary contributions, and grants loans and from “Other Sources” are deposited in order to fund ‘educational development’ projects.
The monies collected are used to facilitate improvement of quality in education provision, increasing access and promoting equity in education provision at all levels. The same is done through: (i) Diversifying the sources of funds for education and (ii) Providing funding for educational development programmes or projects identified and conceived at pre-primary, primary, secondary and tertiary levels.
TEA aspires to be a leading Strategic Financial and Material resources interventionist in the education sector.
To secure financial and material resources for the Education Fund and efficiently and effectively deploy those resources to support educational projects/or programs for the realization of improved access, equity and quality of education.
TEA is committed to exercising transparency, objectivity and equitable treatment, offering quality services with integrity and courtesy and exhibiting professional competence in delivery of services to its clientele.
The following are mandated objectives of Tanzania Education Authority as stipulated by the enabling Act:
- To provide funds to supplement the provision of education at all levels;
- To advise the Government on new sources of revenue for the purpose of ensuring adequate and stable flow of money into the Fund;
- To raise the quality of education and increase access and equality;
- To promote education and training according to needs within the framework of overall national socio-economic development plans and polices;
- To apply the money deposited into the Fund for the purposes of improvement and promotion of education;
- To develop and make periodic review of the formula for allocation and disbursement of financial resources of the Authority to different educational levels expect that, at least fifty percent of the financial resources shall be provided to finance basic and secondary education;
- To develop and make a periodic review of the resources allocated for facilitation of education to students with disabilities
- To monitor the use of the funds disbursed and ensure adherence to the objectives of the Fund other than funds allocated to HESLB, TCU and NACTE;
- To receive gifts, donations, grants or other moneys on behalf of the Fund;
- To sponsor and provide facilities for higher learning and to establish relationships or association with institutions both nationally and internationally;
- To apply the monies deposited into the Fund for the purpose of giving effect to the mandate of TEA, HESLB, TCU and NACTE provided that the Authority shall consult with institutions referred to in this section in the application of the monies deposited into the Fund.
Principal functions of the Authority are as follows:
- To secure adequate and stable financing for education;
- To raise the quality of education and increase access and equity;
- To develop and review periodically the formula for allocation and disbursement from the Fund to different education levels; and
- To monitor the use of the funds disbursed and ensure adherence to objectives of the Fund.